The tradition of industrial chemical production dates back to the year 1934. At this moment, FARMAK, a.s. is a private, independent, Czech joint-stock company.
Company history overview
- 1934 beginning of industrial chemical production
- 1952 government-owned company FARMAKON
- 1992 joint-stock company FARMAK, a.s. founded
- 1993-1995 privatization of the government-owned company FARMAKON
- 1996 FARMAK, a.s. takeover of the government-owned FARMAKON
Company history in details
The city of Olomouc, north of Klasterni Hradisko, has been developing its craftsmanship for centuries. It is well-documented that malt production began in 1870 in Karel Kubelka’s company and in 1906, Briess brothers gained influence in the company. After the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the company began with edible salt processing. A turning-point decision was made by the owners in 1934 when they decided to focus on chemistry. After a new, at that time very modernly designed, six-storey building was constructed, they moved to manufacture of dissolving agents under a new company name Hanák. Five years later, the company name was changed to Hamma and the production portfolio began to be pharmaceutically oriented. Following the end of the WWII, the company was incorporated into the SPOFA concern in 1946. In 1948, the facility in Olomouc was dedicated to the production of pharmaceutical substances using chemical synthesis, and in 1952, the same facility became an independent entity by the Decree of the Minister of Industry with the new name FARMAKON, n.p. Concurrently, a new facility in Unicov became a part of FARMAKON, n.p. focusing on veterinary medical production, biofactor supplements, and feeding additives. In 1990, the General Executive Board governing over Spofa was dismissed and FARMAKON became and independent government-owned company ruled over by the Ministry of Health. A year later, it fell under the Ministry of Industry.
The new era for the company begins in 1992 with the establishment of the joint-stock company. In January 1996, FARMAK, a.s. won in a public tendering organized by the Fond narodního majetku (National Property Fund) and during the privatization process, began taking over the estates of the chemical and pharmaceutical company FARMAKON, s.p. Today, FARMAK, a.s. is a private company with fifty shareholders of which two have together a majority share in the company. The company’s history is not only about the changes in its ownership, but more so about its production portfolio. After 1948, the company gradually started with the production of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and vitamin C. Pharmaceutical portfolio was also very varied and included the production of Caffeine, Theophylline, Thiopental, Cycloserine, Ketophenylbutazone, Methylmerkaptopyrimidine, Pelentan, Clopidol, Isophytol, Phenobarbital, Papaverine, Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline, Kebuzon, and many others.
During the 90s, the production scope began to change and after 1996 utilized the positive outcomes of the separation of the Research and Development department. This led to addition of new substances to its production, eg. Tizanidine, Brimonidine, Alfuzosin, Tamsulosin, Zolpidem, Zopiclone, and others. These products boast high levels of added value, significantly lower production requirements and very ecological waste disposal options.